Saturday, July 31, 2010

||Wildwood Vol 8.||













||George||




After my business dinner, I remember that the guest house is out of fresh flowers. Usually my housekeeper takes care of this - but I figure stopping in Wildwood wouldn't hurt. I pull quickly into the parking lot and fix my tie; you never know if she'll be working today. I pick up four bouquets and a single rose - one for each bedroom, and the rose for my - wife. I'd love to pretend she doesn't exist, but I'm reminded by her nagging voice every time I come home. As I pull out my money clip to pay - a familiar giggle passes by me. I look up, and Maya's leaning on the Customer Service counter, laughing with some guy. I snatch my change from the cashier and watch her walk outside. Her hips sway gently as she takes each step; her hair bounces gently in the air. It's awful late to be driving alone. I better make sure she gets home safe. She hops in the car with  her co-worker and I lag behind until she's a visibly safe distance away. I wonder who that guy is to her - maybe he just needed a ride home. Fifteen minutes later, I'm parked in Soho on some small block, watching the young people walking up and down the street. 


I'm watching a woman walk in the highest heels and shortest skirt I've ever seen, until I spot Maya emerging from an undergroud parking garage. Looks like she made it home before sundown. Glad to see that she's safe. As I pull out of my parking spot, the gentleman she dropped off comes out of the alleyway and quietly walks behind her. Is he following her? What kind of person does such a thing? He begins to jog to catch up with her and puts his hand out to grab her. I unbuckle my seatbelt to get out and help her, but she turns around - and smiles? To my dismay, the two of them slip into a restaurant. Just to be on the safe side, I stay for a little while - to make sure she's okay. After falling asleep for what I thought was fifteen minutes, I realize that three hours have passed. Three hours? She must have left by now, how could I have fallen asleep? I bang my head on the steering wheel and turn to leave the parking spot. As I press the gas, a red car zooms past me. I slam my brakes - it's her!






I jerk out of the spot and cruise behind her car. I forgot to turn my lights on, so I left them off - as not to startle her possible attacker. The route she takes is leading back to wards Wildwood. Is he forcing her to go somewhere dark? I touch under my seat, the old Smith and Wesson revolver is still there. Just in case, I park on the far end of the lot; my black X-Type masked by the shadows. If she needs me, I'm here. He gets out of the car slowly, as she jumps out and runs around the car. I really hope he doesn't plan on trying anything crazy right now. I touch my ignition button, but she stops in front of him for a hug. Wait a minute - was this - a date? Feeling silly, I shake my head as the two part ways. I drive home in silence, rubbing the wood handle of the pistol to calm me down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment