Friday, July 23, 2010

||Wildwood Vol 6.||


I was surprised when my phone rang and Jamie's number popped up. Anxiety briefly kicked in as I answer the call in my best professional tone. The baritone in his voice sends chills down my spine. 

    "Lunch? Sure! I'm glad you decided to consider our university. How about a grand tour - then lunch, on me?" 

As soon as we hang up - I'm out of my office chair and flying down the hallway to my closet. Throwing a few options out onto the chaise lounge, I settle for a Tory Burch blouse and BCBG pencil skirt. I pull out my favorite Jimmy Choo strappy heels for a professional touch. Goodness! I feel like a college girl again! I pull my hair back into a tight bun and I'm ready to go. 



To be modest, I pull up to Jamie's Bronx apartment in my cranberry CL 500. His community is surprisingly quiet, as I watch him walk down his paved garden driveway. Neighbors peek silently through parted blinds as I smile and unlock the door. The scent of Armani Code wafts by my nose; this young man's got good taste. We cruise to the NYU campus, laughing and talking politics. I park in the faculty area and take him on a tour of the grounds, where we end up at Washington Square park an hour later. I can tell that he's sold. 

    "This campus is crazy. I don't know how I'd ever afford it, so I definitely
       have some thinking to do." 
I put my hand on his shoulder, and reassure him that I'd make things happen.
I sneak and watch him eat his meal over lunch. He licks his lips after every bite - it secretly drives me wild! I offer him a study grant and partial scholarship if he transfers,to add even more incentive - I throw his textbooks on my tab. We eat silently as he ponders over the deal I've placed on the table. I reach for a piece of bread, and his hand meets mine. What is going on here? Quickly, I pull back and fight the urge to grasp his fingers. Jamie bows his head and smiles,
     "Are my hands that rough? Damn, I guess I need a manicure." 
We laugh.
     "Your hands are just fine, Jamie. I was just - startled."
He looks up calmly,
     "Do I scare you, Yvette? I don't think I give off a tough guy vibe, but let me know and I'll lighten up. I know you hear my stories about being raised in the hood, but I took myself out of that lifestyle for a reason. All I want is a better life for myself, and i try my best to act accordingly." 
    Naturally, I feel awful, and I reassure him that his behavior is actually what impresses me the most. I get ready to start babbling, and my phone rings. It's Ronald. Surprised, I excuse myself from the table to answer his call; he's back in town and wants me to come home. I actually hear a touch of happiness in his voice. As I cut our lunch short, I apologize to Jamie and call for the check. We walk outside and wait for valet, as Jamie talks about his last studio session. Like a little kid, I giggle a he beatboxes and raps a verse for me. We hop in the car, and I set the satellite radio to 90's Rock. I can't help but look over when I hear him singing a Guns and Roses line. Smiling to myself, I realize - this boy is something else. 

The click of a seatbelt snaps me back to reality, and we're back at his apartment. We handshake goodbye, he thanks me repeatedly for lunch. 
    "Don't forget about me - I mean, my offer. You won't regret it, I promise!" 
He waves goodbye and walks up the walkway, I smack myself on the forehead. I need to calm myself down, stop thinking about this boy - and go take care of my husband. 

Wonder what he wants. 

2 comments:

  1. Niceee! You are very awesome :) I Can't wait to read what happens next! I could visualize everything happening as I read...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it! Put your friends on, too, lol - I'm having so much fun writing them.

    ReplyDelete