Saturday, July 31, 2010

||Wildwood, Vol. 7 ||

|| Maya || 




I get home from work around three and toss my bags in the corner of my living room. When I get to my apartment, all I want to do is unwind and forget about all the bullshit from my work day. A little girl threw up on me during an ice cream demo today - so I peel off my stained top and place it in the hamper. The soiled jeans shortly follow. Wandering into the living room, I turn on the stereo and glance outside at the sunset. My job barely pays the rent in this loft, but freelance photography and modeling keep me afloat. The New York City skyline is a familiar one, but for some strange reason, it never gets old. I enjoy it for a minute, then an uneasy feeling comes over me, and I slam the curtains together. I've got to shake that strange moment, so I light my favorite vanilla candles from Crate & Barrel and waltz off to the bathroom. Teddy Pendergrass ' "Love TKO" croons over the stereo, as Warm Vanilla Sugar washes all my stress away. 

My phone rings in the living room. The ringtone sounds familiar - it's Nate! 
I totally forgot that I gave him my number today. Anxious, I hopped out the shower - my wet feet slide across the tile, and I fall head over heels onto my ass. Barely missed the back of my head and the bathtub.  I scramble to the living room and reach the couch - just in time to see "One Missed Call" glide across the screen. 
   Freakin awesome. 
I pull on a pair of sweats and a tee before I call him back. Painfully, I ease down onto the sofa and put on my calmest voice.
    "Hey Nate, sorry I missed your call. I was in the shower and couldn't reach my cell." I had to put the phone to my chest so I could muffle my laugh.
    "No worries, I was trying to see what you were up to for tonight. I get off early - wanna grab a bite to eat?" 
I've got to think fast; Nate's been chasing me for months, but finally got the courage to say something today. He's got so much - baggage! Baby moms, child, drama. I don't know if I need to be caught up in that. But, the nights of being single sure get chilly - and besides, I haven't been on a date in months! 

I give in and accept.
   "Nothing too fancy, just for you. How's Thai sound?" He asks with an eager voice.
    " Thai sounds lovely. I'll meet you at work." I skip to my tiny closet and pull out a cute oriental print top with my new pair of Earl skinny jeans and canvas wedges. Spraying water in my hair, I fluff my afro, dab on some lip gloss and eyeliner and skip to the door. Grab my purse ((deep breath)), I'm ready. 

I pull up to Wildwood and like a typical Friday evening, the parking lot is packed. The best thing to do is double park and peek inside the store. I hate going in there while I'm dolled up, but I might as well. I feel the funny looks and whispers from the cashiers as I walk across the floor. Sneaking up on Nate, I tiptoe behind him and grab his ears. 
    "You ready to be my date?" I say in my deepest man voice. 
He spins around startled and chuckles,
    "Let's go."
Surprisingly, he grabs my hand and walks me out of the store. We walk to my RX-7, and I walk around to the driver's seat. The uneasy feeling comes over me once more. What is wrong with me? It's just dinner. I can't get the feeling out of my head that something's wrong. I glance in my window's reflection, hop in the car and zoom off.
    "So, where we headed?"



|| Nate||

I can't believe she said yes. After all these months of brushing me off - she said yes. I was gearing up for the letdown while I was asking, and when she actually agreed - I didn't know what to do. I racked my brain for the perfect place to eat, and "Peep" came to mind. Looks like we're SoHo bound. 



    "Swing right and head to Prince Street. I've got the perfect spot."
She effortlessly navigates the city traffic, and we're on Canal Street in no time. We pull up to Prince Street, and I pay for her parking before she can reach for her purse. I see her trying to hide a grin, but nothing could mask that smile. Quickly I hop out and open her door. We make it to Peep as the evening breeze blows her hair around her face. How can one woman be so beautiful? We get seated in minutes, and the dim lighting has us talking in low voices. I thank her for coming out with me and tell her how great she looks. I'm nervous, but I've got to man up. Not getting any younger - and I really feel like I could be on to something with her. She smiles shyly, I fumble with my chopsticks. Food's good, but I need sake to loosen up. Two sips and I feel good. The dinner feels like a blur because it all goes by so fast. We share laughs, giggle about our adventures at work. I look at the time; we've been here since seven - it's ten o'clock! I've got to head back to get my daughter from her mother.
    "Hey, it's getting late Maya. I've got to pick up Naya from her mom's - you know how that drama goes."
Maya shakes her head and smiles.
    "It's cool, I've got to open the store tomorrow, anyway." 
She links her elbow in mine as we walk to the car, and I'm almost positive she sniffs my arm. Nah, she couldn't have.  I let her into the car, and we cruise quietly back to Wildwood. Jill Scott floats seductively through the car speakers, and I hum the words under my breath; 
    " It's the last dance, don't you see, show me the warrior you were
 born to be." 
Yeah, Jill's got it - I'm going hard on this one. I have got to make Maya my girl. I glance in the rearview just in time to watch a car with no headlights turn down a side block. Probably a couple getting cozy at the park or something. She drops me off at my car, and jumps out to give me a hug.
    "I had so much fun tonight, Nate. Maybe next lightyear when you get the balls to ask me out again - we can do hibachi." 
She winks and hugs me gently. There's that vanilla scent again - it's even in her hair. Damnit. 

I pull my Celica out behind her Mazda, and watch her leave. As I turn onto the street, I swear I see that blacked out Jaguar driving by. Nah, what are the odds? I head uptown for Naya, with a smile om my face and Warm Vanilla Sugar on my shirt. What a night it's been.




No comments:

Post a Comment